Our catchy, child-friendly song, ‘BULLY-FREE ZONE!' addresses the issue of bullying in our schools and wider society.
Students will learn not only what constitutes bullying in the 21st Century, but also strategies to help eradicate this unacceptable behaviour.
| Download the 'Bully Free Zone!' song MP3 package
View students singing the song, Bully-Free Zone!
SCHOOLS SAY, ‘NO WAY!' TO BULLYING!
“Students from St Kieran's Catholic Primary School have been involved in the recording of this Keystone Creations song which promotes a positive behaviours/values approach to the serious issue of bullying.
The song lyrics and catchy chorus, 'Bullying is NOT OK - NO WAY!' help students to understand and address this unacceptable behaviour.”
(Mrs Terri Paterson, Principal)
"I just want the bullying to stop. That is all I ever wanted. I used to love going to school. Now I hate it."
---(9-year-old Verity quoted in the Sunday Telegraph, 12 March 2000)
‘Bullying is a problem borne of dysfunction whereby the perpetrator and the victim are caught in a negative cycle of fear and control. We, as caretakers and educators have a duty to interrupt this cycle and facilitate change through early education and intervention.
This song, 'BULLY-FREE ZONE!' addresses the issues in a positive, child-frienldly way. It not only provides strategies to help empower the victim, but also raises awareness and accountability in the perpetrator.'
Included in this download:
- Mp3 Vocal Track
- Mp3 Instrumental Track
- PDF Lyrics
- PDF Lesson Materials, Outcomes & Literacy Focus
- PDF Lead Sheet Music
The 'BULLY-FREE ZONE!' song MP3 package file
- MP3 Vocal Track
- Instrumental Backing Track mp3
- Lyrics, Values & Learning Outcomes, & suggested Activities PDF.
MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!
THIS IS A BULLY-FREE ZONE!
I REPEAT, A BULLY-FREE ZONE!
NO BULLYING WILL BE TOLERATED IN THIS SCHOOL,
IT'S A BULLY-FREE ZONE!
Bullying is not OK - NO WAY!
It's never a solution;
Deal with problems as they rise with conflict resolution.
Caring isn't optional, it's what we all expect!
Everyone is welcome here, but bullying we reject!
Gossiping and being mean, and making others tearful,
Pushing, pinching, ganging up, and making others fearful,
Nasty emails, SMS, and other cyber teasing,
Never can be justified, there's never a good reason!
© 2009 Lyrics by Nuala O'Hanlon. Music by Kathryn Radloff.
The Manly Daily, Saturday, November 6, 2010
"Singing is a practical, child-friendly way of approaching serious issues.
Children remember songs. They identify with the words and the rhythm; it's a powerful way to learn."
- Play song, then brainstorm and list key words/phrases
- Write and display key phrases on flashcards and place around the room (refer to often)
- Read and discuss the lyrics
- Define key words, e.g. bully; coward; abuse; conflict, etc.
- Use in sentences
- list in alphabetical order
- Sort into Parts of Speech - Nouns, Adjectives, etc.
- List rhyming couplets
- Create your own verses
- Using song ideas, write a short play
- Create a school/classroom BULLY-FREE ZONE! banner/poster
Sing at the beginning of the day to reinforce behavioural expectations
- Create simple actions or dance movements to accompany the song
- Older students, teach song, with actions, at assembly
- Sing at School Assemblies
- Write and perform a short play, based on lyrics (e.g. Intro: Student on megaphone; use Chorus to reinforce dialogue...)
- Play through PA system at recess
The Making of ‘Bully-Free Zone!'
|Our producer, Greg (www.geckostudios.com.au) hard at work mixing it up in his studio. (above)
|Lead vocalist, GB – (Gorgeous Ben, aka Ben Marshall) lays down his vocal tracks at Gecko Studio. (right)
||Nuala's sister Maeve, visiting from Ireland, earns her keep, painting the banner. (left)
|Kathryn and St Kieran's Primary School students, sing “NO WAY!” to bullying! (below)
We would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to the Principal, staff, students, parents and P&F of St Kieran's Primary School Manly Vale for their generous involvement in this project!
‘Absolutely gorgeous, thank you. what a beautiful, wonderful, positive thing for our children to remember. All the best to you.'
- - - kath Gustafson - Parent, St Kieran's Primary School
‘I have just listened to it twice, and my foot was tapping away. It is brilliant. Well done!!'
- - - Stephanie Keogh - parent, St Kieran's Primary School
‘Wow... this is amazing!'
- - - Sondra Hamill - Parent, St Kieran's Primary School
If you would like your students to be involved in a similar project, where they are recorded on one of our Curriculum-Based songs, that has been PERSONALISED for your school, DOWNLOAD Sing To Learn Workshop PDF
'A Lesson in Every Lyric' ®